Monday, October 8, 2012

Ewing, Oct 7th

A less-dire-than-forecast morning had me doing local birding.  So local I had to travel all of 40 feet to a corner of my back yard to watch a mixed flock of chickadees, titmice and migrants feeding in my big oak and flitting into other neighboring trees.  I netted:

Red-eyed Vireo
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Black-throated Green Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler

with these heard nearby:
Red-breasted Nuthatch (still not on my yard list)
Eastern Towhee
Purple Finch

so not the world's largest migration but not at all bad for one's own backyard.  In fact a brief visit to Princeton's Institute Woods netted less diversity (mainly Yellow-rumped, big flock of Red-winged Blackbirds, two Wood Ducks) than in my own back yard.  However my back yard thistle feeder has yet to prove an irresistible lure to migrant Pine Siskins.



No comments: