Sunday, November 13, 2011

Great Horned Owl in suburbia

Periodically I entertain a fantasy of finding a Screech-Owl or a wintering Long-eared Owl amongst my spruces, but it was a pretty big surprise to realize that I was hearing a Great Horned Owl hooting in my own neighborhood.

It was close enough and with enough low frequency that I could get a faint hint of it at 3am even with the windows closed, and I wandered outside to see if I was simply hallucinating or if it was by some miracle in my yard. Neither - it was a single bird, presumably wandering looking for a mate, and it was about two rows of houses over. There was no reply, and I've never thought of my neighborhood as having a quite dense-enough habitat to attract a Great Horned.

Still, it makes my yard 'B' list for things heard/seen from the property.

No comments: