Monday, September 12, 2011

Central Park 9/10 and 9/11

A fairly slow migration day on 9/10 saw me in Central Park for my first fall birding trip to NYC. The number of warblers were fairly low for a northerly wind and I found:

Osprey
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher
Veery
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
Gray Catbird
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Canada Warbler
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Noteworthy were the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (first of year for me) and EIGHT Osprey making their way south.

On 9/11 I returned to Central Park without expectation of finding much. However I was living in Manhattan on 9/11/01 and birding Central Park that morning - an experience best related elsewhere, if at all - and this visit was more about symbolism than anything else. As expected it was much quieter even than Saturday. I added Northern Parula (3) and Yellow Warbler to the previous day's warbler totals but left the park fairly early for brunch rather than keep staring at trees full of American Robins and not much else. Of note were two White-throated Sparrows, one of which was singing. There was no hawk movement to speak of on Sunday.

No comments: