Sunday, April 24, 2011

Central Park 4/24 - good migration

On about as good a migration day as I've seen as early April 24th, a warm day following a wet day filled the park with migrants. Most of the migrants were Black-and-white Warblers (all male) and Yellow-rumped Warblers, but I did come up with 12 warbler species by the time I left around 1pm.

In the Maintenance Field things started off slowly, with two Brown Thrashers, Common Yellowthroat and Chimney Swift (first-of-year for me). Then Hermit Thrush and Northern Flicker put in an appearance and I had a brief look at Northern Parula flitting from tree to tree. Around Azalea Pond things were more active with multiple B+W Warblers and Yellow-rumped. My only Palm Warbler for the day passed through. Then I found by chance a silent Yellow-throated Vireo, for the longest time my only vireo of the day but I was to add Blue-headed Vireo later on. Northern Waterthrush was singing at Azalea Pond and there were several around including a very vocal one at the Upper Lobe. Near the Upper Lobe I also found a very mobile singing Yellow Warbler along with silent individual Blue-winged Warbler and Great Crested Flycatcher. Over at Sparrow Ridge (Sparrow Rock) near Tanner's Spring I found two Field Sparrows, a Black-throated Green Warbler and located a vocal Baltimore Oriole. Then up in the small flat area between Shakespeare Garden and Belvedere Castle I saw both the reported Hooded Warbler (first year male, by appearance) and tracked down the first year male Orchard Oriole by its chatter. The final hurrah for the day was a singing Black-throated Blue Warbler in the Oven.

Looking at the sightings logs I keep online, the Yellow-throated Vireo was by far my earliest one - previously May 1st was my early date. But the Black-throated Blue was more or less on time (my early date for that is the 20th). But there's still a lot of spring to come.

First of year birds in the following list are marked with FOY.

Red-tailed Hawk
Chimney Swift (FOY)
Great Crested Flycatcher
Blue-headed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo (FOY)
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Hermit Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Blue-winged Warbler (FOY)
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler (FOY)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (FOY)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler (FOY)
Palm Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Ovenbird (FOY)
Northern Waterthrush (FOY)
Hooded Warbler (FOY)
Common Yellowthroat
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole (FOY)
Baltimore Oriole (FOY)

No comments: