Monday, March 28, 2011

Snipe in Piscataway 3/27


While recovering from the pelagic and associated drugs, I wasn't disposed to venture too far afield, instead limiting my sights to Piscataway, 20 miles to the north, and a Wilson's Snipe that had been in a park there. Just a single bird - and I wonder how these individuals elect to go their own way - and one that was sheltering in a wet area with surface water surrounded by Canada Geese. In fact it was having to dodge the geese as the latter wandered around. It was a little skittish, and with the number of (on-leash) dog walkers it's probably not much of a surprise.

This was a nice riverside park with some woodland, and I picked up Hairy Woodpecker and Northern Flicker for the year, in addition to the expected flocks of Robins and Canada Geese.

I stopped at Griggstown Preserve on the way back just as a monitoring stop en route to my favored plant nursery and found nothing, but the grassland hasn't yet bounced back from winter.

No comments: