Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Very out-of-area: Texas, December 2008

I flew to Dallas mainly for personal reasons, but predictably I was unable to resist tacking a little birding onto the trip while I was there. Missing my outbound flight compressed the schedule somewhat, and the occurrence of two rarities (Crimson-collared Grosbeak and Blue Bunting) in the lower Rio Grande Valley led me to go there yet again, skipping most intermediate sites.

1,500 miles later I flew back out of Dallas in the afternoon of the 30th.

The trip added a few new year birds (LeConte's Sparrow, Sprague's Pipit, Sedge Wren etc) and one life bird (female Crimson-collared Grosbeak). I ended the year at 612 USA species (all lower 48) and a 2008 list of 367 - actually my highest total outside the big year 450+ totals.

Trip report (in edit): http://www.philjeffrey.net/TX2008Dec.html

No comments: