Monday, January 12, 2009

Siskins, siskins everywhere: Jan 11th and 12th

Sunday at 1:30pm I took a late day jaunt to Round Valley Recreation Area (reservoir) in search of water birds including the reported Eared Grebe. Not a great deal to see at the boat launch (Ruddy Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Loon, one American Coot) but at the South Lot things were more interesting in the land bird dept. Chickadee sp. (hybrid), Red-breasted Nuthatch, Eastern Bluebird, American Goldfinch and a nice flock of 15-20 Pine Siskin that were quite vocal. A fly-over Sharp-shinned Hawk completed the set.

Then, on Monday I was walking to Nassau St to get lunch when three Pine Siskins dropped into the pines at Prospect House on Princeton University campus. ID by call - the rising buzzy trill - there was still a mixed flock feeding there coming back to the lab, but I had no optics at work. A Cooper's Hawk fly-over was an added bonus. Pine Siskin is certainly the most interesting campus bird I've had - wonder if they'll make my feeders next ?

(Update Wednesday: the Pine Siskins were still at Prospect House and low enough to be ID'd by the naked eye. Still none at my feeders.)

No comments: